Monday, January 4, 2010 -- grandmajan
It took a lot of tongue-biting, but I did keep the secret until Jon's
Christmas present was revealed. A captain can't fly without his
second mate being suited up, so there just had to be a second
astronaut suit. A bit of tweeking here and there, add the sleeves
belts, and then it will be ready for the maiden flight. Looks like
we have another deadline to meet, since the rocket is just about
ready for the launch pad!
Sunday, October 25, 2009 -- grandmajan
With intentions of finishing up the suit on Saturday, I pulled
together all the stuff that I could conceivably need and we headed
over to the rocket launch pad location. It was time for a final
fitting before I begin making things really permanent and that can't
be reversed. Fitting looks good.
So: Next step: get the zipper installed. Find the zipper in the
big bag of stuff. No zipper. A huge bag of anything I "might" get
to, and the next step item was missing. So off to Jo-Ann's, 10 mile
round trip, to get another zipper (actually got two varieties just
in case...) Got home and the girls were up from their nap. Whee!
So we happily had kid/grandparent playtime, read Box Car Children
with Eliot, ate pizza, more fun playtime, then kiddo's bedtime. Ah,
time and energy gone, so it was time to go home, dragging the suit
home in just about the exact same state I had taken it over in.
Which was OK, because I would much rather play with the kids. :v)
Sewing I can do at home.
So today I pinned, then basted in the zipper. Several pin pricks
later I was ready to sew the thing in. Wow! Installed in the first
attempt. Yeah! While sewing I was contemplating what to do about
the tricky design of the collar, and began wondering - is this thing
going to be a scratchy, bothersome thing that he might not like
anyway? So we await the verdict on that from the rocket
manufacturer and the astronaut who will have to live in it for awhile.
Friday, October 16, 2009 -- grandmajan
The idea for an astronaut suit started with a cheesy play helmet
about 6 months ago (Eliot's birthday). Then it became apparent that
the scope and scale of the rocket project was calling for something
more ornate. The look was for big zippers, lots of velcro on the
sleeves and arm pockets and neato space patches.
Now to get this thing finished before Eliot has grown out of it or
lost interest. How long do you think it will stay white? Oh, who
really cares! :v)
After two fittings, here's what we have so far. Once we know it fits
I will be putting in the hefty black metal zipper up the front, then
a black thick cowling-like collar (to keep the helmet "air tight" -
ha, like a fuzzy space helmet will need that. But, you know, it's
the look we're after here.)
The parachute straps and wide belt are pinned on in their general
planned locations. Belt carriers will be added on the shoulders and
waist to keep them in place. Hummm, looks like the shoulder strap
covers up the NASA patch, so we might have to figure out a different
place for it.
Just had to have the original NASA patch :v) Also I think we might
need a patch for this mission: Ravenna Ultra-Low-Altitude Vehicle